2022 Selection Timeline
- August 1: applications available online
- August 31 @ 7pm: student-led info session on Zoom (https://duke.zoom.us/j/99646211703)
- September 6 @ 7pm: student-led info session in person at East Campus, Classroom Building 114
- September 16 (5 pm): applications due
- September 22 - 29: 15-minute interviews with the SPIRE Selection Committee
- September 29 - October 3: notification of acceptance
- October 19 @ 7pm: SPIRE New Fellows Welcome Dinner
Who Should Apply?
The Duke SPIRE Fellows Program welcomes first-year undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing studies in STEM fields, especially those who are from underrepresented, first generation, and/or low income backgrounds.
*Due to the outstanding support system already in place through our PreHeath Advising Program, prehealth students will not be considered for placement in SPIRE.
The online application consists of the following questions:
- Please share the reason(s) you are interested in studying STEM at Duke and describe your short and long-term goals in this field. (limit answer to 250 words or less)
- Briefly describe a time you felt challenged/discouraged. What did you do that helped you rise to the challenge(s)? (limit answer to 250 words or less)
- Briefly describe what academic collaboration means to you and how you have collaborated with others in the past. (limit answer to 250 words or less)
- Please let us know why you want to be part of the SPIRE Fellows Community. (limit answer to 250 words or less)
- Are you applying for or are you already involved in another program which will require a significant time commitment? Examples include: Focus, ROTC, varsity athletics, or a merit scholarship program. If yes, please indicate the program(s):